There was some evolution since that article.
I finally decided to make the brackets and installed the power supply in my apartment.
The power supply can output 25A under 12V, should be enough for my applications at the moment.
I pulled some 6 mm² wires through my apartment, inside the same conduits as the network cables. There is one supply going to the datenklo (the toilet host my network, like at the Chaos Communication Camp) and two independent supplies are going to my desk. They only meet at the terminal blocks.
The power supply has been installed in the cupboard near the fuse box and is protected by a 6A breaker at the primary, sharing the circuit with the doorbell.
The connectors i use for the 12V power sockets are Neutrik XLR 4 pins, they are much more resilient and safer than cigarette lighter plugs (will be part of a rant in a separate article)
None so far, the power supply is running smooth and cool, but the fan is noisy like hell !!
My wireless router is running from that power supply and seems very happy about it.
- I will have to move the power supply to the datenklo: i have a noisy 24/7 ventilation in there. 🙂
- Still need a way to integrate the XLR sockets with my light switches in such a way that it look like it’s coming straight from the manufacturer. Will be part of a separate article. 🙂
- Rebuild my media-PC to work straight from a 12V DC source.
- Connect LED strips to it: my bar and my kitchen will receive a bunch of LED strips.
- Figure out how to work with pictures in WordPress, this article is a mess !!